Virtual data rooms, according to many users around the world, have become the best solution for company work. With their help, it is possible not only to establish an effective work process even in conditions of remote work, but also to optimize basic work operations, thus saving valuable working time and resources. At the same time, the use of virtual data room tools provides not only high speed and productivity of the company’s work, but also protection of its corporate data and assets. It’s worth noting that data room security mechanisms can be used either as a package or individually, although most of them come into play as soon as a user logs into the data room. Find out how to protect corporate data with the help of data room security features in our article.
Basic ways to protect corporate documents
Virtual data room options by themselves are not useful because they require user participation to activate them. In addition, the effectiveness of virtual rooms depends directly on how the workflow is organized within the company and how the data rooms are tailored to perform work operations. Since the bulk of the work involves working with documents in one way or another, regardless of the specific nature of the company’s business, many users are interested in ensuring that virtual data room tools provide document protection while working with them. This can be achieved in several ways:
- Organize an effective search system within the corporate repository, taking into account the characteristics of documents, their name, size, purpose and other characteristics;
- Organize document storage into several tiers, which allows you to store the most sensitive data outside the company – in cloud storages;
- Allocate usage rights among user accounts, so that each user has the right to perform only a limited number of actions with the documents.
In addition, damage to corporate files can be prevented by leveraging virtual data room security mechanisms – such as encryption systems, backups, multi-stage access, and more.
Data protection tools that are available to virtual data room users
There are several protection tools that are available to users of virtual data rooms:
- Multi-stage access. In order to gain access directly to the data room, you have to go through multiple stages of authentication, not just a login and password. This is necessary to provide protection in case the password and access are lost in any way.
- Encryption systems. All actions performed by users in the virtual data room are logged in the activity logs, and all information about the actions performed is instantly encrypted so that information about them does not fall into the wrong hands.
- Limited number of users. Typically virtual data rooms are designed for a limited number of users and those users must have a registered account with the virtual data room system.
Many top data room providers go to great lengths to ensure maximum protection of their customers’ data. But achieving the necessary level of protection of such data is impossible without proper efforts on the part of the users, which manifests itself in the organization of workflow and use of data room options. It is also necessary to remember that virtual data rooms are quite easy to adapt to the individual needs of each company, including the organization of basic data storage.